I think there is nothing I enjoy more than baking with apples. Especially if there is cardamom involved. I adore cardamom, if I haven’t mentioned it before (which I’m pretty sure I have). Not just with apples, it goes pretty much with anything in my book – coffee (!), rhubarb, strawberries, blueberries, cinnamon buns, Semlor, you name it!
Apples always seem to inspire me to bake, and that was definitely the case today. With my fourth book in the making I’ve had almost no time to create new recipes for the blog. I feel like I talk about my fourth book constantly, but it’s pretty much all I can think about at the moment. It’s been so much fun to make, and I’ve learned so much during the process. I can’t wait to share more on this soon!
Anyway, these muffins:
So moist, slightly crunchy on top and just so perfect. The apples are simmered in a mixture of butter, sugar, cardamom and cognac. Need I say more? My kitchen still smells amazing.
SPICED APPLE MUFFINS WITH STREUSEL TOPPING
AND CINNAMON HONEY BUTTER
makes 8 large muffins
4 tbsp all purpose flour
2 tbsp turbinado sugar (brown sugar works too)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
pinch of salt
2 tbsp (30 g) cold butter
1 large apple
1 tbsp turbinado sugar (brown sugar works too)
1 tbsp (15 g) butter
2 tsp cognac
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
1 1/4 cups (180 g) all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, at room temperature
2/3 cup (100 g) light brown muscovado sugar (packed in the measuring cup)
100 g (1 scant stick) softened butter
1/3 cup + 1 1/2 tbsp (100 ml) sour cream (or thick yogurt), at room temperature
5 tbsp (75 g) softened butter (I always use salted but feel free to use unsalted)
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tbsp honey
For the streusel topping
1. Stir together flour, sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and salt in a bowl. Add the butter and press together with your fingers until it reaches a crumbly texture. Put the bowl in the fridge while you prepare the rest.
For the apple filling
1. Peel, core and dice the apple. Put in a sauce pan together with sugar, butter, cognac and cardamom. Bring to a boil, then simmer on medium high until apples become slightly soft and the sugar melts, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool while you prepare the muffin batter.
For the muffins
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (392°F). Prepare a cupcake pan with 8 muffin liners (you might get a couple more or less depending on the size of your liners).
2. Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat sugar and eggs until fluffy and lighter in color, about 2 minutes. Add the butter and beat until incorporated.
4. Add the dry ingredients and the sour cream and stir until smooth.
5. Fill the liners about 1/4 full with batter, add some apple mixture to each liner, then top with more batter, the remaining apple mixture and the streusel topping.
6. Bake for 18-21 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
For the cinnamon honey butter
1. Beat butter, cinnamon and honey until smooth and fluffy. Serve with muffins (preferably while the muffins are still a little bit warm.